Cover Letter Writing Tips and Sample



Do you need to write a cover letter for a job? You may feel as though the document is unnecessary, since you’ve already provided your detailed CV.  But a cover letter serves an important purpose: it presents your case for why you should be employed. 

Your cover letter is where you can show your passion for the position or company as well as and draw attention to your relevant qualifications.
Many employers require cover letters as part of the job application process. However, even when an employer does not openly ask for a cover letter, you should send one. A strong cover letter can make your application stand out.

Cover Letter Tips
Even when an employer does not directly ask for a cover letter, be sure to always send a cover letter. The only time you do not want to send a letter is when the job listing clearly says NOT TO SEND ONE. Be sure to follow all directives in the job listing.

Customize each letter. It might seem tedious, be it is important to customize each letter to fit the specific job you are applying for. This will make your letter stand out.

Highlight relevant qualifications. In your cover letter, address one or two skills or qualifications you have that match the job description.

Provide a specific example of a time you demonstrated each of these qualifications.
Edit! Be sure to proofread each cover letter; looking for grammar and spelling errors before sending it. You may consider asking a friend or family member to read over your cover letter.

Cover Letter Sample
Your Name
Your Address
Your City, State, Zip Code
Your Phone Number
Your Email

Date

Name
Title
Organization
Address
City, State, Zip Code

Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name:
I am interested in the author's assistant position at ABC Company, as advertised in XXX. I am currently employed as legislative director for DFG XXXX, Chairperson of the XYZ Assembly. I believe that the skills and experiences I have gained at this position make me an ideal candidate for the job of author’s assistant.

As legislative director, I have developed strong writing and editing skills. For example, one of my main duties is to prepare DFG XXXX’s personal legislation, which deals with issues related to her position as Senior Member of the XYZ Assembly Standing Committee.
This duty requires meticulous writing and editing skills, and an ability to convey complex legal ideas clearly. I have prepared dozens of pieces of legislation, and received praise for the clarity of my writing.

I have also gained extensive experience in legal and policy research – fields that you state the author’s assistant must be familiar with. My experience in the XYZ Assembly has afforded me the opportunity to become familiar with the consolidated and unconsolidated laws of the State of ABC. In particular, through my work with DFG XXXX, I have become heavily involved in the current welfare and Medicaid reform movement. I am always eager to learn more about state legislation, reading up on these topics on my own time to become more knowledgeable. I would love to bring this passion for policy and law to your company.

I am confident that my experience in the Legislature and my research and writing skills qualify me for consideration. If you would like, I can provide you with current samples of my work. I have also enclosed my resume. I look forward to meeting with you and discussing my qualifications in more detail.

Sincerely,

FirstName LastName


Reference
Alison, D. (2017). Free Microsoft Curriculum Vitae (CV) Templates. Accessed: March 25, 2017. Available at https://www.thebalance.com/cover-letter-sample-for-a-resume-2060250

2 comments:

  1. Visit for IT info to manage all types of projects.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Education also leads to the high self esteem as one can get confidence from the educational programs and speeches or educational games, the high self esteem or self confidence give the power to face the future problems and this http://www.resume2018.com/best-tips-on-resumes-for-high-school-students/ website help me a lot to find out pleasant info.

    ReplyDelete

Theme images by Storman. Powered by Blogger.